Looking after the affairs of elderly relatives

If you are looking after an elderly relative or friend who requires assistance from you, it can be difficult to manage their day-to-day affairs without having the proper written authority to do so.

A Lasting Power of Attorney is a document that can be completed while someone is still in good health. Its purpose is to appoint a child or children, or other close relative or close friend, to deal with someone’s finances and property – and sometimes also their welfare – should anything happen to that person or should their condition deteriorate to the point that they are no longer mentally able to make an informed decision.

In the event that anything should happen to someone who has already drawn up a Lasting Power of Attorney, or if their mental faculties have deteriorated unacceptably, the person appointed as attorney can apply to the Office of the Public Guardian to register the power of attorney, which will enable them to manage that person’s finances and property in this country.

Alternatively, if an elderly relative or friend’s mental or physical condition deteriorates and a Lasting Power of Attorney has not been already drawn up and registered, then one or more of the children or another close relative or friend would have to make an application to the Court of Protection to be appointed as the deputy able to manage the finance and property of the person in question.

We can assist with drawing up powers of attorney documents or with making applications to the Court of Protection for the appointment of a deputy to manage someone’s financial and property matters where they are unable to do so themselves.